As a kid and during my zero money college period, I turned to Pop-tarts a lot. There are 400 calories in a single packet. 400 calories is okay for breakfast but these calories were coming from fat, carbs and sugar. They contain little protein, fiber or other important nutrients. I decided to make a lighter Pop-tarts that I could enjoy with a piece of fruit or a side of eggs for breakfast.
The flavors of Pop-tarts can be endless. I threw together ingredients I already had hiding in my kitchen. You could swap any of these ingredients.
- Black Cherry
- Light Lemon Curd
- Brown Sugar Cinnamon
- Blackberry Jam
- Sweet Green Apple
- Blueberry Cobbler
- Banana Cinnamon
- Coconut Almond Cream
- Dark Chocolate Latte
- Sweet Peach
- Apple Pie Oats
Recipe For Pastry Dough:
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Cup White Flour
- 2 Tbsp Baking Stevia
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Plain Chobani
- 1/4 Unsalted Butter Diced at Refrigerator Temp.
- 3 Tbsp Skim Milk
- In a mixer combine flours, Stevia, and salt.
- Slowly add in milk and Chobani
- Beat in butter until thick. (You may have to add more flour if your butter is warm)
- Roll up dough and wrap it with plastic wrap.
- Place in refrigerator until ready to use.
Ingredients For Fillings:
- Blueberry Cobbler : 1 Tbsp Fresh Blueberries, 1 Tsp Brown Sugar, 1 Tsp Fat Free Cream Cheese
- Sweet Peach: 1 Tbsp Peaches Diced, 1 Tsp Brown Sugar (You can use any fruit.
- Brown Sugar Cinnamon- 3 Tbsp Brown Sugar, 1 Tsp Cinnamon 1/2 Tbsp Fat Free Cream Cheese
- Blackberry Jam - Sugar Free Smuckers Jam (Use any flavor)
- Banana Cinnamon- 1 Tbsp Thin Banana Slices, Sprinkle Cinnamon
- Lemon Curd - 1 Tbsp Light Lemon Curd from can (find in baking aisle)
- Apple Pie Oats- 1 Tbsp Quick Oats, 1/2 Tbsp Green Apple Diced, 1/8 Tsp Cinnamon
- Cherry Cream- 1 Tbsp Fresh Cherries Diced, 1/2 Tbsp Fat Free Cream Cheese, 1 Tsp Stevia
- Coconut Almond Cream- 1 Tbsp Shredded Coconut, 1/2 Tbsp Fat Free Cream Cheese, 1/2 Tbsp Sliced Almonds
- Sweet Green Apple- 1 Tbsp Green Apple Dices, 1 Tsp Brown Sugar
- Smores- 1 Tbsp Marshmallow Cream, 1 Tbsp Crushed Graham Cracker, 1 Dark Chocolate Hershey’s Square Chopped
- Dark Chocolate Latte- 1 Dark Chocolate Hershey’s Sqaure Chopped, 1 Tsp Sugar Free Maxwell Coffee, 1 Tsp Quick Oats, 1 Tsp Fat Free Cream Cheese
After all the fillings are prepared take the dough out of the refrigerator and roll out into a thin crust. Cut into 2x2in squares. Before you stack the dough make sure to sprinkle with flour to prevent sticking.
Lay a sheet of wax paper onto a baking sheet and spray with pam. Lay twelve of the dough sheets onto the pan. Add the fillings on top.
You might have to pick up the dough sheets and stretch them to fit. I had to do this several times.
Take the tips of the fork and press down the edges. Working with this dough is kind of like working with clay. The score marks will help the sides stick.
After all the Pop-tarts are assembled make sure to write down on a piece of paper the flavors and their placements. It makes frosting much easier! Bake the Pop-tarts 13-18 minutes at 350 degrees.
For the topping:
- 2 Cups Powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp Meringue Powder
- 4 Tbsp Water
- Sprinkles of course!
All the Pop-tarts have 1 Tsp of glace. It will spread out slowly and look like much more.
I dipped the end of a stick into food coloring and mixed the color right in the Tsp that way I didn’t have to keep cleaning the bowl.
After placing the layer of glaze I sprinkled the top.
When doing the glaze make sure to keep the Tsp of glaze in the center of the pop-tart. The glaze will spread by itself slowly.
I chose colors that represented the flavors on the inside. It helped me remember which Pop-tart is which. I also kept a towel and water bowl next to me to do a quick rinse of the spoon.
They might not look as pretty as the real pop-tarts but they certainly taste good :)
The pop-tarts would be perfect for parties or for kids. I can’t wait to make these on Christmas morning. I’m thinking of doing a peppermint mocha flavor! This is also a great office treat to bring instead of donuts.
I loved how the insides looked. The dough was very flaky and almost textured like phyllo dough and a toaster strudel. My favorite was the coconut!
Calories For Pop-tarts:
- Blueberry Cobbler: 115 Calories, 4g Fat, 21g Carbs, 10g Sugar, 2g Protein
- Sweet Peach: 110 Calories, 4g Fat, 20g Carbs, 9g Sugar, 2g Protein
- Brown Sugar Cinnamon-145 Calories, 4g Fat, 24g Carbs, 14g Sugar, 2g Protein
- Blackberry Jam- 101 Calories, 4g Fat, 17g Carbs, 7g Sugar, 2g Protein
- Banana Cinnamon- 125 Calories, 5g Fat, 22g Carbs, 11g Sugar, 2g Protein
- Lemon Curd- 105 Calories, 4g Fat, 19g Carbs, 9g Sugar, 2g Protein
- Apple Pie Oats-135 Calories, 5g Fat, 22g Carbs, 12g Sugar, 2g Protein
- Cherry Cream- 112 Calories, 4g Fat, 17g Carbs, 11g Sugar, 2g Protein
- Coconut Almond Cream- 155 Calories, 4g Fat, 25g Carbs, 12g Sugar, 2g Protein
- Sweet Green Apple- 113 Calories, 4g Fat, 22g Carbs, 11g Sugar, 2g Protein
- Dark Chocolate Latte-145 Calories, 4g Fat, 23g Carbs, 15g Sugar, 2g Protein
- Smores-146 Calories, 5g Fat, 24g Carbs, 14g Sugar, 2g Protein
I can’t wait to see what flavors you come up with!
- foolishlybrave likes this
- love--shannon likes this
- mattfrikinbellamy likes this
- healthysuave reblogged this from stealthysuave
- handsinthesky reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- helpingxmyself likes this
- waitingforjessecuster likes this
- going4fit likes this
- pleasuresofexistence likes this
- wingsmeanttofly reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- kayliaac likes this
- cpodes likes this
- renegade-runner reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- renegade-runner likes this
- natigurdian likes this
- nonsensicalblubberings likes this
- shmamrd9 likes this
- thiscrazybeautifulworld likes this
- jessisgirl reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- shinynic reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- hazard0usradiati0n reblogged this from worldwidewebkinz
- trappedinavelociraptor likes this
- smileyan0n likes this
- acidgirlfriend likes this
- missbenzedrine likes this
- resinfiend likes this
- oldsaintnicky likes this
- spadsslick reblogged this from worldwidewebkinz
- mintyzaki likes this
- worldwidewebkinz reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- jaylynn373 reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- winterkage likes this
- starartrefs reblogged this from sspocck
- badbitch-fitness likes this
- kristenvidrinee likes this
- neighchel likes this
- wheatgrass-ass likes this
- alyssasrose likes this
- crookwinks likes this
- ashleyyeck likes this
- jonnymapleleaf reblogged this from beautynthebreakdown
- beautynthebreakdown reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- enidmooney likes this
- interpolish likes this
- aegyo-illa reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- yes-blueshark reblogged this from undressedskeleton and added:
- positivehealthyfit likes this
- babebybeki likes this
- vanitycurve likes this
- crazykattlady reblogged this from eccentricandfantastic