Energency Protein Bars: When You Are in Need of Some Serious Energy! (no baking required and made with six clean vegan ingredients)
I am a big fan of protein bars, snack bars, and other to-go foods. I travel a lot and finding clean snacks to pack with me can be a challenge. I easily get caught up in my travels, worrying about other details and forget to pack food for the road every so often. Stopping to pick up salads or healthy wraps on the road is fine. But when I am traveling alone, I can’t eat those foods while driving. Not only is it messy; it’s mortally unsafe.
I have learned my lesson after a couple forgetful road trips. Monday I will be taking a road trip from Georgia to Nashville, Nashville to Chicago, and Chicago to Detroit. Instead of spending a ton of money making stops for food, I am preparing my own for the trip. This will save a lot of money and keep me energized during the trip. Sometimes eating junk food gives you an energy high and ends with a crash soon after. I don’t need any crashes while driving. No pun intended. I need to keep my energy up to stay focused on the road.
I made these energy protein bars for the trip. I call them “ENERGENCY" protein bars because they give you quick energy during times of emergency! Not only are they suitable for road trips; they are perfect for: snacks, workout fuel, meeting snacks, parties, to-go breakfast, dessert, and kids will love them! This no-bake recipe is made with only six clean vegan ingredients and has an easy gluten free ingredient swap. Snack bars can be very high in sugar and calories, luckily these ones are not. That being said, if you can’t fight the urge to have just one, you are welcome to have another!
If you can’t find any of these ingredients, you can easily replace them with a different brand.
-One bag 100% whole grain puffed Kamut. (If you want to make this recipe gluten free, use gluten free Rice Krispies)
-Two bags of all natural mini marshmallows. (Learn from my mistake, only use mini marshmallows. I had a hard time melting down the big marshmallows) The Dandies brand are 100% vegan. If you are shooting for a 100% vegan recipe, use those.
-One cup carob chips.
-One packet of Vega One vanilla protein powder or two scoops of your choice vanilla protein powder.
-One teaspoon vanilla.
-1/2 Cup unsweetened almond milk.
-1/2 Cup Whole Food’s antioxidant trail mix. (can be replaced with any trail mix)
-Add the puffed Kamut to a large bowl.
-Mix the vanilla and unsweetened almond milk together.
-Grease two plans with organic cooking spray or olive oil. You can use any pan/tin foil. Unfortunately all my pans are boxed up. I had to buy tins but they worked perfectly.
-Add almond milk and protein powder to a non-stick pot. The protein powder is necessary in this recipe. It thickens up the almond milk to prevent soggy bars.
-Bring to a boil on medium high heat. Stir constantly or the almond milk will burn and stick to the bottom of the pan.
-Once the almond milk comes to a boil, remove from heat and stir in marshmallows.
-The Vega protein powder turns the marshmallows green. But don’t worry, your bars won’t be green.
-After the marshmallows melt, add the mixture to the large bowl with the puffed Kamut.
-Lightly mix in the carob chips (lightly, or they will melt)
-Stir in trail mix. Save a little to top the bars with.
-Poor the mixture into the greased pans.
-Spread evenly and flatten with your hands or a flat spoon.
-Sprinkle a couple tablespoons of the trail mix and carob chips from the ingredients over the top and press down.
-Place bars in the freezer for a faster dry.
-Instead of spending money on card stock or expensive paper, cut a brown paper bag for the labels wrap.
-After freezing, remove from the tin.
-They come right out and they are about an inch thick.
-Add bars to a cutting board to slice.
-Don’t be afraid to get your hands sticky. Mold them together if they need packed more.
-Slice in half and then into sixteen individual bars. (1 in x 3 in)
-Cut while they are frozen to prevent any crumbling.
-Wrap the brown paper around the bar and use a small strip of clear tape to hold it together.
You can use your computer to make cute labels or if you are making these with kids; have them decorate each label. Kids become more excited about eating foods when they play a part in the preparation.
-This recipe makes 32 bars.
Nutrition Per Bar: 80 Calories, 10 g Carbs, 2 g Fat, 6 g Protein, 2 g Fiber, 7 g Sugar
Most protein and snack bars are a couple dollars for one. This batch makes 32 bars for only $0.47 each!
I put them in a large freezer bag. They taste really good frozen, too!
- embracingeating likes this
- detektiven likes this
- tonedtanfitready reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- morganrtjinspired likes this
- mbunny94 likes this
- theironnectarine likes this
- theinvadersmustdie likes this
- yeahimthatuglymotherfucker reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- yeahimthatuglymotherfucker likes this
- neycali likes this
- sunt-lacrimae-rerum reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- emiswims likes this
- healthysuave reblogged this from stealthysuave
- wandering-and-sunshine reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- helpingxmyself likes this
- emeliewallin likes this
- stephaniesfitness reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- justmeltl reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- threeambakingfrenzy likes this
- wecanhassavocado reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- creamcashruleseverythingaroundme likes this
- michelle6413 reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- peacelovebakingnom reblogged this from glutenfreefitness
- iwriteficnottragedy likes this
- wheatgrass-ass likes this
- motivation-insp-ration reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- powerofmotivation reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- rabbitwheel reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- somegirlnew likes this
- prettythinker likes this
- abeautifulgirlyreflection likes this
- lostamongtheroses likes this
- wish-i-could-float-away likes this
- xlittlexdamphirx reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- kristenvidrine likes this
- only-boringpeople-get-bored likes this
- am8zme likes this
- theskycameron reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- yummierhealthierfoods reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- darling-adventurer likes this
- earth-below-my-feet likes this
- juhijazi likes this
- commoncosmonaut likes this
- say-la-ve likes this
- notimelikenow53 likes this
- lauraehager likes this
- dreaminginfloral reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- kayidaga reblogged this from undressedskeleton
- casawhiteblancahouse reblogged this from undressedskeleton